This season, the regular time-honoured 'LBD' has been replaced by the 'BLD' or as we know it - the 'Black Leather Dress'. This massive trend has been building momentum since the Fall/Winter 2012 fashion weeks in February, seen on catwalks from New York to Milan. Easy to style and effortless to wear, the little black leather dress serves as an edgier (and warmer) alternative to your classic LBD, dispensing a glossier, goth chic appeal.
On The Runway
The misconception that leather dresses have to be skintight and curve-hugging has been dispelled thanks to designers like Valentino, Gianfranco Ferre and Jean Paul Gaultier, who have created more capacious versions. However, if you do prefer the second-skin silhouette, Reem Acra, Pucci and Sportmax have got you covered, whilst Calvin Klein and Givenchy have opted for a flattering fit-and-flare style.
Celebrity Inspired Leather Looks
Ideal for cold winter nights, the long-sleeved leather mini has been a favourite amongst celebrities, as it provides a sleek, streamlined silhouette and oozes urbane glamour. Paired with ankle boots or strappy sandals, this is the perfect after-dark winter outfit.
The sleeveless or strapless leather dress is also an alluring choice as seen on Cody Horn, Nicky Hilton and Jessica Alba. Adding a pair of ankle-strap heels and studded accessories enhance the edginess of this look. And don't forget a red-hot lip colour for an extra dose of glamour.
Get With The Trend
You're not limited with choices when it comes to translating this trend off the runway & into reality. Be it elegant, sporty, sexy or sophisticated, there's a leather dress to suit your style.
1. Lace studio dress with leather peplum frill. $159 by Zara.com
2. Leather bustier dress with flair pleated skirt. $462 Parker from Blacklabelboutique.com
3. Faux leather skater dress with scalloped cutwork hem. £35 via Newlook.com
4. Leather look peplum bustier dress. $114 by River Island via Asos.com
5. Pleather corset dress with studded detail. £119 from House of Dereon via Nelly.com
6. Knee-length stretch leather and jersey dress. £180 Maison Martin Margiela by H&M
7. Vegan leather dress with embellished neckline. $298 Free People via revolveclothing.com
8. Leather and jersey pencil dress with pleated wrapped bodice. $263 at Asos.com
Is this a trend you would try out?